maanantai 26. lokakuuta 2015

Oh, November, where art thou?

Yes, I've been a bad girl.

I just couldn't help myself... This idea came to my mind about a month ago, and since then I've had troubles waiting 'til November's NaNoWriMo challenge. I just couldn't.

I opened my computer, shook the dust off my keyboard and did it. First I wrote a sentence. Then another. Suddenly a whole paragraph had appeared to my screen. Now, I have two pages of text and a very bad conscience. Well, I guess what matters is that I started.

Some days I feel stressed about my choice of genre. Is it too dark? Can I do this? What if I end up losing my sleep because of diving too deep into my story? After all I chose to write a suspense story with some really dark topics...

For me writing has always been about the right mood. Before I can write anything I need to adjust to the mood in the story. It is clear that when you write about something as dark as death and fear it might make you feel unwell. Listening to instrumental horror music can really give you the creeps... Luckily I have watched quite a many horror movies. (Thinking there's a camera man in every scene helps a lot!) Watching movies has really helped evolve my imagination a lot and has given me some insight to the basic plot structures as reading has also done. At least I have a sense of what kinds of scenes I do not want in my story. Lol.

Still, it's a bit different when you write than when you watch it. When I watch a movie I typically try to enjoy and forget about my stress. When I write I have to really imagine the things I'm writing about. Make them real. Feel what the main characters feel. Go back into those memories where I'd rather not go.

It's challenging. It's scary. But I wouldn't trade anything about it. Writing can teach so many things about the world we are living in, but most importantly it teaches about yourself. Sometimes writing is like a journey inward. It's therapeutic to process even the unwanted memories and experiences - to give those a new life in a story, which hopefully shows a reader another view on things. Your view.




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti